The Full Story.
Taryn Vander Hoop, a lifelong student of movement, is a dancer, choreographer, and international yoga and dance teacher known for her long unique sequences and encouraging spirit. She helps her students find joy in movement and freedom and ease in the body and mind.
She graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a B.S. in Dance, English, and Spanish and moved to NYC in hot pursuit of a career on the stage. Knowing her ultimate goal was to teach she made a 2-year pit-stop at NYU Tisch School of the Arts where she received an MFA in Dance Performance and Choreography. At Tisch, Taryn met her partner-in-crime, Sumi Clements, and they co-founded Summation Dance, an all-female modern dance company. The company has performed at notable venues, such as Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), Baryshnikov Arts Center (BAC), Jacob's Pillow, and Z-Space. For more on the company, check out summationdance.org
Taryn received her 200-Hour yoga certification from Yoga Effects, and 300-Hour yoga certification from Laughing Lotus Yoga Center, Aerial Yoga Training from Om Factory, and is a Yoga for Cancer (ycC) certified teacher. Her recent accomplishments include leading 200-hour teaching trainings for Om Factory worldwide, teaching at the Korean National Yoga Conference, Union Square Summer Thursdays, and leading two yoga retreats to India with participants from all over the globe. Taryn also started Om Factory's first satellite Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Training program at Rutgers University, which she co-teaches with Blair Ritchie.
The practice of yoga has transformed Taryn's mind and body and she has been able to translate much of her yoga practice into her daily life. By finding her exhale on the mat, she was able to release tension from her body throughout the day and her in dancing. Mantra and meditation practice enhanced her focus, confidence, and performance on the many stages of life. The list goes on and on. Yoga has given Taryn more than she ever could have imagined and her mission is to help people find confidence and joy in movement and fullness and mindfulness in daily life. Her aim as an educator is to help her students see fewer limitations and realize more possibilities, both on and off the mat.
2008, University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.S. in Dance with additional majors in English Literature and Spanish
2010,NYU Tisch School of the Arts, MFA in Dance Performance and Choreography
2009, 200-HR RYT Yoga Teacher Training, Yoga Effects, NYC
2009, Pilates Mat Certification, The Kane School, NYC
2013, 300-HR RYT Yoga Teacher Training, Laughing Lotus, NYC
2014, 50-HR Aerial Yoga Certification, Om Factory, NYC
2015, Yoga for Cancer (y4c) Certification, NYC
2015, 36-HR Anatomy Studies for Yoga Teachers, NYC
2016, 40-HR Bhagavad Gita Training, Nikki Costello, NYC
2017, 40-HR Prenatal Certification, Shakti Yoga, Uganda
- 2010, Formed Summation Dance with Sumi Clements
- 2011, Produced Summation's 1st Sold-Out Performance at Baryshnikov Arts Center in NYC, Keep Your Feathers Dry
- 2011, Performed an Excerpt of Gallim Dance's I Can See Myself in Your Pupil
- 2011, Produced Summation's 1st Dancing Literate Project at the historic Judson Memorial Church
- 2012, Produced Summation's 2nd Annual NYC Season at Baryshnikov Arts Center, Deep End
- 2012, Produced the 2nd Dancing Literate Project at the historic Judson Memorial Church
- 2012, Performed in an Excerpt for skybetter & associates, Eveningland
- 2013, Produced Summation's 3rd Annual NYC Season at Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
- 2013, Produced the 3rd Dancing Literate Project at the historic Judson Memorial Church
- 2013, Produced Summation Dance at Z-Space in San Francisco, CA
- 2014, Produced Summation's 4th Annual NYC Season at Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
- 2014, Produced Summation Dance Tour (CA & WI)
- 2015, 92Y Presents Summation Dance
- 2015, Jacob's Pillow Presentes Summation Dance at Inside/Out
- 2015-2017, Co-Found & Lead Om Factory's 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training at Rutgers University with Blair Ritchie
- 2015, Summation Dance 5th Annual NYC Season at Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM)
- 2016-17, Co-Teach Om Factory's RYT 200-Hour Vinyasa Yoga Teacher Trainings Worldwide (Seoul, South Korea, Hanoi, Vietnam, NYC)
- 2017-18, Summation Dance's Project Highway HabitUS